The Center seeks to promote artistic games in the greater Tampere area. It is run by local game designers and researchers but relies on a wide network of societal actors and the participation of the public in events and in helping to shape the Center’s activities.
We focus on three forms of game promotion: Embodied games, hosting playful communities, and games research. We design monthly public games, as well as curations of artistic games to learn about and play.
Want to host an activity at the Games As Art Center? Please contact us!
You will find us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will explore these artistic possibilities of games through three types of activities:
- Reflection: talks, panels, assemblies, exhibitions…
- Exploration: events in which games are played with various goals (education, entertainment, playtesting…).
- Creation: design workshops and events.
These types can of course be hybridized (e.g., a talk that includes a small design exercise at the end). You are welcome to join any event! Some events will require registration and will have a link attached to them.
- Tampere has many actors working with games who may be interested in a space where their practice and research can be shown, discussed and developed further.
- We develop understandings and experiences that often stay at the academic level but may be interesting for a variety of audiences.
- We aim to disseminate and discuss a broader and deeper understanding of games.
- We would like to promote a participatory approach to meaning-making of/with games.
- Tampere lacks spaces where these kinds of activities can occur.
Voimakatu 11, Tampere, Finland. We are located 5 minutes behind Ratina, 10 minutes away from Tampere University!
WHO- Organizing Team:
Want to support games and art in Tampere?
All of our activities are hosted for free, with all proceeds covering costs and paying designers. In order for this to be sustainable, we rely on voluntary support from participants who choose to become members with a one-time (or monthly) payment. Choosing to support us allows us to maybe continue this mission after December 31st (when our free location will no longer be available). In exchange we will host your events and much more!
Members and Partners of the Games As Art Center:
Akateemiset Pelaajat, Ans Ahmad, Chris Aylott, Corinna Wüllner, Daniel Fernández Galeote, Eddie Reyes, Felipe Garcia Soriano, Finland Improv Ry, Jaakko Stenros, Jukka Särkijärvi, Laura op de Beke, Leland Masek, Malin Steinmetz, Mauricio Castro Valdez, Mee-lu Lie, Rūta Balžekaitė, Velvet Spors, Ville Susi.